Monday, April 20, 2009

My Days at MEPIS

Well, this is a bit frustrating...can't really find much time to post anything, so I'm stuck here, sitting at work writing this while waiting for a scan to complete.

Short update: work is awsome, I love it so far.  Also, finally gave up on my wife's computer and gutted it, replacing most of the guts with new parts.  Upon trying to install Fedora 10 again, I kept having lock up conflicts between the installer and the on-board video, even in text mode.  I'm sorry, but if they can't even get text mode to work, they are too bleeding edge.  So, I set out to find a new distro to put her on, and after some consideration, I settled on one that I've not worked with before but is highly rated as an easy-to-use, easy-to-maintain and most of all stable.  What is this fabulous distro that isn't one with the Beast (Microsoft)?

SimplyMEPIS is the name, and version 8.0 is based around Debian 5 stable, which is more than enough to sell me.  Debian is known for slower development, which translates to more stable and more reliable systems.  Anyway, I won't bore you with the details, but after getting it up on her system, I like it so well that I think I will install it on my laptop.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.  Cheers!

1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, April 23, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It has a very well-deserved reputation for being easy-to-use while still providing for power-users. Now that the community is more involved with development, it's looking better all the time. Been using it for years - always recommend it to newcomers and "veterans".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home