Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Randomly Thunk a Thought, and Now I Don't Think At All!

So...yeah, I don't really know what I want to say today, but, in keeping with my "Random Thoughts" theme, I think I will just pound on the keyboard for a little bit and see what comes.

Be afraid.

Anyway, so the last few weeks have been pretty craptastic.  School is all right, though I constantly have to fight off the feeling like I'm not really learning anything, and paying a lot of money so people will believe I know something, all the while the stuff I'm teaching myself on the side (like HTML and CSS) I'm learning at a rate far greater than what I get in school.  The HTML and CSS book I read, for instance, I read in just over a week, and can even recall the vast majority of it.  Anything that I don't remember, I use the book or Google to remind myself.  My Web Design book is taking me longer and giving me more trouble, but that is because it is asking me to be creative in a time of depression (not economic so much as emotional, though the economic one sucks too).  On the other time, I've sat down with it three times and finished three chapters (the first two and a half were in the first sitting, however), so it is more a matter of me sitting down with it.

As for the template changes I had hoped to make...first, I'm having no end of trouble picking new colors I would like to see.  Turns out that even with a wonderful program like Kuler from Adobe, I am simply hopeless at setting up a good color pallet and choosing what goes where at this point in time.  I'm hoping the Web Design book with help me out on that, but we'll see.

Another issue with the color pallet that is making my life difficult is how the rounded corners got to be there, and what they mean.  Those nice little round corners are actually pictures, all of which I will have to download, modify, find a place to store them in a permanent fashion, and update my template to point to the new version.  Steps 2 and 3 are the ones I'm not quite sure how to accomplish, but before I figure them out, I really need to chose the colors I want.

Step 2, though I don't know how to do it yet, I know what I will use for it (warning: shameless plug ahead).  The Gimp is gimptastic in its gimpiness, and if you don't know what the Gimp is...well, go check it out.  It is a fantastic raster graphics editor with power rivaling Photoshop (although different than Photoshop, so if you are used to PS, you may have a slight learning curve to contend with).

<plug class="shameless">I've used the Gimp for most of what I have posted over on my Deviant Art page.  Please check it out and let me know what you think.  Most of my stuff isn't all that advanced yet, but I do feel like I'm getting better...though I haven't really practiced much lately.  Anyway, check it out.  Gimp is also what I used to make that lovely new avatar I use, which is the closest I've ever come to posting a picture of myself on the public interwebs.</plug>

Well, that's all I have for today.  Mostly going to spend my day working around the house, cleaning up the garage, looking for work.

*sigh*

2 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, March 26, 2009, Blogger LMPP thinks...

Ooo hello! you're back.
Good. Don't go away again!

 
At 6:06 PM, March 26, 2009, Blogger Jeffrey E. Hunter thinks...

It is my intention not to leave again, but we shall see...I have a nasty habit of putting things down and forgetting about them.

However, I am trying to get better about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home