Sunday, February 26, 2006

Truth In The Land Of Confusion

Every once in a while, I have to ask myself this question: What if I am wrong about all of this? What if the opposition really is right and I am just being blind to it all? What then? And how will I ever know?

Take this debate happening on The Wicked Truth. In it, "we" pretty much spend our time trashing Fox "News", while a sole voice defends them as having unbiased reporting. Maybe it is just me listening to the people I trust, and not really doing the investigation myself, which would make me no better than the people that I feel get their news too much from one group without ever really looking at things objectively...in effect, "drinking the kool-aid".

So, what is "true"? Is there really such a thing as truth? Or is it all subjective, subject to interpretation? Is it all based on what is important?

See, that is the funny thing, though, about my viewpoint, and maybe I am wrong about this; however, to me, thinking that the environment and human rights for all is most important feels like the only real way, the only thing that is right. Saying that environment is not most important would be like saying that it really isn't that important for us to breath, eat or drink water to live, which is a fallacy and a fantasy of the highest magnitude (at least in my thinking). Saying that the well being of the people, be they high class or low, is not important, is like saying that my child is not important enough for food, shelter or medical attention were he/she ill. How many parents can honestly wish that on their child?

Which brings me to the issue of abortion: How can people be so up in arms against abortion, based on the idea that the fetus is a person, and then be so against giving anyone of lower standing (who is also a person, I feel the need to point out, as a statement of the obvious, which some seem to ignore) a fair break in the world, or any form of help, because it might take a penny more out of their paycheck (which is unlikely). What sort of greedy bastards are we?

So, please, help me here. Where am I going wrong on all of these ideas so terribly that I cannot see the obvious truth that so many see who believe the words of Bush, the Right Wing Ministry, and Fox News? What am I missing? What is that critical piece? Please, tell me. I want to know, so that I might further my quest for the truth.

And that was truly random.

5 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, February 26, 2006, Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis thinks...

politics become a personal paradigm, just like religion. some like to argue about it, some sit back and let "them" argue. in my mind, my personal ideas/values/choices are what are true/real/should be. we're just fortunate that we have such a choice.

 
At 2:38 PM, February 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

Well I can see that you have no "real" concept of fairness. Lets talk about helping out the poor disadvantaged persons of our world.
In this country there seems to be the misconception that no one should have to "work" to get ahead. Lets just sit back and hope in God and country that our life will get better. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think all welfare people are fat and lazy, but the ones that are seem to be easy to see and espicially easy to hear as they scream out "help me"

 
At 10:31 PM, February 28, 2006, Blogger Jeffrey E. Hunter thinks...

Okay, did I say ANYTHING about working to get ahead? No, I was talking about human rights, which are abused quite frequently. You seem to feel that people take advantage of the welfare system, and at one point, I might have agreed. However, I no longer believe that a signifigant number of people are misusing that system. As a matter of fact, the system has been so gutted that people who really do need the help to get back on their feet (who, by the way, comprised the majority of welfare takers even before it was gutted) are having difficulty getting the help they need, many not able to get any at all.

And, all the while, most of the rich don't raise a finger to help, and often do their damndest to make sure that even fewer people get this help.

True, I would love to see a better system than welfare, a system that found a suitable job for the people that need them, so that people can get the work and the pay to get them through. However, that would cost more money than the pathetic little that is spend on welfare now.

 
At 6:37 PM, March 09, 2006, Blogger Gene thinks...

Boy, I ask myself those same questions. I ask myself, "How is it that they (Liberals) are just as convinced of the truth and rightness of their beliefs as I am of mine."

I think of good friends who have polar opposite political views. They are smart people. They pay attention to what's happening in the world. They have spent as much time as I have looking at all sides of an issue, hearing the same arguments, yet they come to a totally different conclusion. Why is it?

I try to psychoanalyze them. What was their childhood like? Is that the reason why they believe what they believe? But that's just obnoxious. God knows I'd be afraid to see what someone could unlock from deep within my psyche.

So, I don't really have an answer for you, Jeffrey. I just happened upon your blog, and your piece triggered this reaction. Really, I try to stay away from the political debates. I just blog to embarrass my family. But your question is a good one. What is that missing piece? Let me know if you find the answer.

P.S. Are you related to this guy?

http://www.blogger.com/profile/13223944

 
At 9:18 PM, March 09, 2006, Blogger Jeffrey E. Hunter thinks...

To answer your last question, no I am not, though there would seem to be some resemblance (of our avatars, at least).

As far as avoiding politics, there are times when I do, and times when I don't. I am always worried that I will offend someone, but then I realize that this world is offensive as much as you let it be to you. So, I broach the topic gently with them, and always respect their opinions and voice. If they don't reciprocate in that, then I figure that they do not respect me and I have little desire to respect them, and back away.

You should read my first post on my other blog (Of Liberal Intent), titled "One Mo' 'Gan", which deals with my views on the harmful nature of labels like Liberal and Conservative. Until we can do away with those, or at least decrease their signifigance, we will never be able to work together truly.

There is a link to it near the top of this blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home