Tuesday, February 21, 2006

CPUs, SUVs and Allergies

Computers suck, you know that? Take this one I'm working on...just doing everything it can to make my life miserable. Has taken me more than four hours just to set up, and I'm not even done yet!

Sometimes, I think computers just hate me.

Anyway, it has been a busy, allergy induced, headache making day, full of glitches and sneezes, computer crashes and red eyes. In short, it has been one of "those" days.

Whoever thought up "those" days ought to be shot.

A little news from my home town of Oklahoma City: I hear that the old GM plant in Midwest City is closing, either today or yesterday, I'm not certain. Probably moving to China and blaming consumers who want better fuel economy (that plant produced SUVs, if I'm not mistaken). Maybe a better, more "American" approach would have been to listen to the people and start building more fuel efficient vehicles. The technology is there, and it isn't that expensive.

That, however, would not mesh with their dreams of obscene profits (the real American dream, it would seem). I'm looking forward to a day when American companies don't run to other countries to make more money by tossing aside loyal US union workers and exploiting cheap, virtually slave wage laborers in their country, while also crippling the economy here and the abilities of smaller, honest businesses to make a profit. It is truly sick.

(Note: You may be able to tell from the beginning, this was written at work on a piece of paper while I was waiting for that computer to boot up. The good news is, it finally behaved itself. That makes this a truly random thought.)

1 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, February 21, 2006, Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis thinks...

i'm not sure i would go so far as to say my replies are thoughtful, nor your thoughts are random, they make sense to me. i have mixed emotions about your post today. it is sad that the plant is closing down and moving to china (perhaps). i wished this country would figure out that oil is a FINITE resource, we will run out. we are, as you say, smart enough to figure out an alternate source of energy, be it natural (wind, sun, etc) or synthetic. i hate SUVs. i hate the fact that our country is so gluttenous (sp?) in everything we do. Rome fell in a day. Likewise?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home